Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lost Of A Cousin

Yesterday I lost a cousin that growing up we were always together. He rode with me every day to High School. We were always out and about and being the life of the party. We did a lot of drugs and drank a lot of alcohol together. He never stopped. I got sober and he continued drinking. When I saw him Christmas day he looked really bad. Should I have said something to him? He was not drunk Christmas morning. Always came to see us on Christmas morning. Was always happy to see us.
He is yet another black male in our family that dies at a young age. Besides my Father and his two brothers all the other males in our family never make it to retirement age. They die from drinking. This is the same thing with my cousin. His liver just said no more. His body said I can't take this. It could have been me. But I chose to get sober and clean and stay that way. I chose not to be one of those numbers in my family. Have I broken the chain or did I just step out of the circle?

No comments:

Post a Comment